Fellow Members of the OTVA
Bernie and his wife, Evelyn, have been living with their son, Laurie and his wife, Noelene, for some time now but had relocated to a nursing home prior to his passing.
Bernie has been a great contributor to and supporter of the OTVA for many years and will be well known to many of you. He was a Life Member of the OTVA and an active member of the OTVA Executive for many years until 3 years ago when he started to experience some health & well-being issues.
Bernie’s Working Life
- Joined AWA in 1938 as a messenger at 14 years of age and gained experience as a telegraphist until he was appointed as a Ships Radio Officer in 1949.
- Joined OTC in 1957 as a “Island Room Operator”
- Seconded to Papua New Guinea Telegraph from 1960 to 1964 as the Radio Officer In Charge
- Returned to OTC as a Radio Officer, CRS in 1966 where he worked in Sydney Radio and Darwin Radio
- Appointed in 1967 to the position of Pay Clerk & Administration Officer in Operations Branch until his resignation from OTC in 1976 to take charge of his own accountancy business.
Monday 26 June 2017
United Church, 70 Kitchener Pd, Bankstown NSW
This is a shock and a great loss to the OTVA.
Bernie was a true gentlemen, always helpful and in his softly spoken voice and manner got things done to every one’s satisfaction.
A great loss to everyone who knew him and who had worked with him.
Condolences to all his family.
May he rest in peace.
Extremely sad to hear of Bernie’s passing.
He did a great job in ensuring the finances of the OTVA were managed effectively and professionally. He was very active in supporting the OTVA .
Its now over 12 months since Bernie’s passing and the friendship extended to Yvonne and I continues with our regular contact with Evelyn and family.
Still sadly missed and his services to the OTVA lives on.